Hilda Leona Schmidt, 97, of Manhattan, Kan., died Aug. 16, 2021, at Good Shepherd Homecare & Hospice in Manhattan. She was born Feb. 13, 1924, to Isaac and Emma (Block) Neufeld in Carnduff, Sask.
The family moved to Kansas to be near relatives around Inman when she was 9. She was baptized May 28, 1939. She graduated from Buhler High School, then earned her RN diploma from Bethel Deaconess Hospital, Newton.
She married Carl G. Schmidt on Sept. 16, 1947.
They farmed northwest of Beatrice, then moved into Beatrice in 1967. She was a nurse at Beatrice Community Hospital for many years and later at Martin Luther Home. She was a member of the Red Cross and the American Nurses Association, taught CPR for the American Heart Association and was a lifetime member of the Bethel College Nursing Alumni Association. She was always ready to acquire additional medical training to enhance her nursing career.
She was a member of Beatrice Mennonite Church, where she was involved with the women’s service group, children’s education, education committees, church council, ministerial searches and as a deaconess. In 1980, she and Carl began three years of volunteer service under Mennonite Central Committee. They worked for a hospital in Burkina Faso, where she taught nursing skills to local workers.
After Carl’s death, she renewed a friendship with Elmer Friesen. They married in 2001, and she moved to Portland, Ore. She and Elmer enjoyed their life together until his death. She then moved to Manhattan to be near her daughter Karen.
Survivors include two daughters, Karen Schmidt of Manhattan and Ruth Schmidt Hewett of Bellingham, Wash.; a daughter-in-law, Sridevi Schmidt of San Jose, Calif.; a brother, Orville Neufeld of Wichita; a sister-in-law, Carolyn Drew Neufeld of Forest Grove, Ore.; and two grandsons.
She was preceded in death by her husbands, Carl and Elmer; two sons, Melvin and James; three sisters, Edna, Verna and Eileen; and two brothers, Elmer and Wilbur.
Memorial services were held at Beatrice Mennonite Church. Inurnment was at First Mennonite Cemetery of rural Beatrice. Memorials were established for Mennonite Central Committee and Beatrice Mennonite Church.