Beyond Electric Cars and Renewable Energy
In this episode, Sarah and Sheri talk about why renewable energy and electric cars and green growth won’t save us – and how these things are linked to the same extractive, dominating worldview of the Doctrine of Discovery.
For more information:
- Link to Jason Hickel’s book Less is More: How Degrowth Will Save the World
- Link to Jason Hickel’s article, “Degrowth is About Global Justice”
- See chapters 7 and 8 of Sarah’s book, This Land Is Not Empty: Following Jesus in Dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery for more information on extraction and the impact it has on Indigenous communities. –
- See this article about exponential growth and how our ignorance of it causes problems from how we deal with COVID to the climate crisis
- This video talks about the difficulty of electrifying all sources of transportation, such as rail, shipping and air.
- This article talks about the growing scarcity of sand, which is the world’s most consumed raw material after water.
- See this article for information about the San Carlos Apache’s fight to save Oak Flat from copper mining.
- This article talks about the “decoupling delusion” – that is, decoupling GDP growth from resource and energy use.