Here are five things worth paying attention to this month. I recommend selecting one or two and jumping in over the next week.
1. Confederate statues are coming down and, if you look closely, you’ll see Mennonite pastor Melissa Florer-Bixler dancing in celebration.
2. What does it mean to center transformative justice right now? This timeless piece by Adrienne Maree Brown unpacks this concept.
3. You can’t tell the story of racism in the United States without discussing the history of redlining.
4. Prison and Police abolition are possible, and here is a syllabus to help you learn why.
5. Music is the blood of culture. It keeps our traditions alive, and in Black Parade, Beyoncé is bringing us a taste blackness.
Ben Tapper has a master’s degree in public affairs and an M.Div. He is co-founder of the Hear Me Project and blogs at Invisible Truths.